Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Winding Down




I fear the season is near the end. I'm having a tough time finding snipe and Doc has given up on me a few times and flown off to chase distant birds (successfully one time).

Doc did fly great today he waited on patiently and nice and high and eventually caught a miscellaneous bird that we flushed while walking through the field.

Last weekend Mike Dupuy was visiting for the weekend, we had a great time and Mike got to see Doc and Bubba fly. We flew in a very stiff wind (close to 15mph) that I probably wouldn't have flown in if Mike wasn't down.

In typical fashion I had a minor screw-up while gabbing with Mike. I had my yearly telemetry malfunction (I didn't turn it on). Naturally, Doc saw something downwind and we lost sight of him chasing a flock of blackbirds. This is when I realized that my telemetry wasn't on. But luckily we drove down and he flew right in and landed on the lure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may have said this previously...but is it safe to assume you will be intermewing Doc?

Angela

Eric Edwards said...

Yes, I am planning to intermew him. I love training new birds and would love to trap another but he's been a bast to fly and I think I'll give him another season. It'll be nice not to have the stress of trying to get another trapping permit also.

Doug said...

Eric,

about when does the "wander lust" take hold of a peregrine and you really need to put it up or lose it?

Thanks,
Doug